Saturday 18 November 2017

Circular No 837






Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 18 of November 2017 No. 837
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here are short remembrance letters from friends of Brendan. Those who would like to add memories, please feel free to write.
-----------------------------------
From: Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date: 14 Mar 04:53 (PST)
Las,
Brendan Gurley was in my class at the Mount, the class that graduated in 1964, Don Mitchell was in that class, so was Joel Guy Blandin. The picture of the class is in circular 101.  We became good friends, it was Edward Lloyd and I who took one look at Brendan and said that his forehead was too big, so we called him five head.
Brendan and I became such close friends that his parents approached mine, and I [as a Guyanese] was allowed to stay with the Gurleys when we were let out for short holidays, wonderful family.  I remember one Carnival Brendan and I crawled under the fence of the country Club and we had a ball, I asked him why we don't just buy a ticket, his response was "Nah no fun in that". At this same Carnival jump up at the country club the young lady who won the miss world title that year a Trinidadian girl was there and Brendan and I ogled her all night, we even spoke to her.
Sometime in the 70's Brendan married a Guyanese Girl, who I knew very well, my father was the best man at her father's [Hilary Gonsalves] wedding, so we practically grew up together, and when Brendan came here for the wedding he asked me to be his best man. First public speech I ever made.
I have not seen Brendan for 30 years but hearing that he died came as a complete shock, accompanied by a great sadness; strange isn't it? I do not see him for 30 years, but when I hear that he had died it struck me with such force, it's as if knowing that he was alive and well somewhere on the planet was enough, even though we don't see each other, now that I hear that he has died, I feel this emptiness inside and I will miss him, it is a strange set of beings we humans are.
Anyone in Trinidad who is in contact with his family, please give them my deepest condolences.
Is anyone in contact with his younger brother Christian? or know how I can contact him?
In the attached picture which I searched for in the old circulars to send it to David Bratt.
Look at the back row on the right I believe that that is Brendan [but it could be Simon some thing or the other] then Blandin, then me, then Piton.
If that is not Brendan then he and Edward Lloyd are missing from this photograph of the 64 class. I wouldn't know why that was.
Michael Azar has called me twice over the past week he now lives in Portland, Oregon same old "big Joe" full of energy.
Puds Laquis and I were discussing the circulars last year in Trinidad.
He, as I did, thought that it was an incredible exercise and whatever the difficulty we have to find a way to keep it going, you can count on me.
I think that you can count on Michael Azar also, from our discussions he knows a lot about the Internet web hosting and so on.
What do you say Big Joe?
Tony Vieira
-------------------------------------------------------------
From another member of the Club.
A large sports facility was developed for the Abbey School. Athletes from the Abbey School, St. Bede and the Aqua Lads and Lasses swimming club went on to compete at national and international levels.
------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 03:46:32 +1100
From: "Brian Andrew Wickham" <wickee@lycos.com
Abbey Aqua Lads and Lasses Swim Club
Hi,
Unfortunately, I am now coaching a different club.
Do you know Brother Gerard by chance?..
He was the last manager of the club when I was there.
Brian
wickhamb@notme.com,
(Information given to me by a former coach, ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Roger Henderson" <rhenderson@tstt.net.tt>
Date: 5 May 05:29 (PDT)
Ladislao,
I did not recall the bank at the Mount until you mentioned it but I never used it.
Do you remember the procedure for haircuts.
Rughead would go around the study hall and put you on the list.
You then had to spend the entire afternoon waiting on the very slow barber.
He was situated next to the showers for the small boys dormitory.
Anyone remember his name?
------------------------------------------------------------------
De: Robert [robert.huggins@3web.net]
Fecha: 20/12/2003 12:32:41
Hi Las,
It's been sometime since I wrote about MSB, and don't plan to start now.
Maybe in the New Year I will try as for the past year I have been concentrating on getting my business established here in Canada.
We have been trying to get work going in the area of waste management, in their case animal and human waste and have been slowly making inroads into the market.
It would be nice to try and stimulate some interest throughout the islands, but have not been able to do any work down there.
Maybe there are some old MSB's who are interested in this area so they can contact me.
In the meanwhile, I will like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family, and the MSB family all the best for the Christmas and coming New Year.
God Bless,
Robert.
---------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Robert Huggins" <robert.huggins@3web.net>
Date: 10 Jun 14:46 (PDT)
Hi Las,
As long as the MSB network continues I will try to put in my 2 cents.
It's sad to see that so many went there but so few want to write about the things that we did while there.
I don't think that our stay was that bad that everybody wants to forget what they did, at least I don't.
Also I don't think that people are so busy that they can't spend 5 minutes to talk about their time at MSB.
Anyhow, I suppose that is life, and the world we live in.
No Las, I didn't build model airplanes, instead I watched you build rockets and try to get them to fly. But that's another story.
Actually my sports activity was swimming.
I was also giants B captain of the football and volley ball team, both championships which we won.
I also played cricket, and anything else that looked good.
Have no fear my friend I will try and put something together soon, but I need to get the cobwebs out of this old brain and try to remember some of the things we did.
I may have to try and contact Don Mitchell as I know he, his brother Gordon and I were always doing some crazy thing.
God Bless,
Robert
----- Original Message ---------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz"
To: <robert.huggins@3web.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 6:28 PM
Dear Robert
I am glad that you wrote, the email of Manuel is: Manjosepra@hotmail.com,
His box is full at this time.
I need your help for articles or short stories.
Boxhead told me that the rocket did fly???. Can you remember??
Did you build model airplanes???
What was your sports activity?
I just contacted a swimming coach that trained lads and lasses at our pool some three years ago. The club is called, "The abbey aqua lads and lasses swimming club"
There is a little story on it, maybe I shall write on it.
Did you remember Fr. Francis? and the singing?
I am asking you all this to get new writer for the Circular Writers Guild now that the strike is over.
So long my friend
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------
17-09-2017 14:49:16: Mt Berment Joseph: Happy Birthday! Azizul.
 17-09-2017 18:19:41: Mt Ramsahai Winston 99: Another September, Toddy , Winston.Aziz ...Happy Birthday have a Blessed Day
17-09-2017 18:33:34: Mt Berment Joseph: December must have been a busy month for our parents.
17-09-2017 18:58:43: M Kenny Azizul: Thank u guys so much had a surprise birthday last nite and still can't move around properly
17-09-2017 19:06:56: M Moffie Edgar: Azizul may God bless you and keep you healthy.....happy birthday.....regards Edgar....
17-09-2017 19:08:04: M Kenny Azizul: Thanks man
17-09-2017 20:46:35: Ladislao: Happy birthday azizul.
18-09-2017 11:43:58: M Kenny Azizul: Thank u Ladislao how u doing my friend
18-09-2017 22:02:13: M Coscarart Salvador: Lets prayers for all our brothers living in the islands in the path of Hurricane Maria.
18-09-2017 22:02:50: M Ahow Hector Tx: Amen 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
18-09-2017 22:04:37: M Coscarart Salvador: Frank espero que se hayan protejido en espera de Maria. Que dios los proteja y cuide. Mantenos informados cuando puedas. Un abrazo
18-09-2017 22:24:12: M Ibarra Frank: Gracias Salvador, estamos haciendo todo lo necesario. Con la bendición de Dios estaremos bien. Les estaré informando. Tú cómo sigues?
19-09-2017 16:12:51: M Coscarart Salvador: Yo bien gracias a dios . Todavia con tratamientos preventivos., Pero bien. Cuidense y protejanse. tomense unas botellitas de ron . Los  borrachitos siempre salen sin ningun rasjuño. Jejejej
19-09-2017 16:15:41: M Ibarra Frank: Gracias a Dios, me alegro mucho que sigas mejorando...tengo 2 botellitas del viejo Parr just in case!!! Jajajajaja
19-09-2017 16:19:13: M Coscarart Salvador: hasta despues de Maria
19-09-2017 16:20:06: M Ibarra Frank: Sí por el stress.... jajajajaja
21-09-2017 19:52:40: M Kenny Azizul: Joe u might be out of a job
23-09-2017 07:42:57: Mt Farias Gabriel: Joe's tribute to Cutty
23-09-2017 07:54:37: M Gyuris Attila: An Outstanding tribute to Fr Cuthbert!  Thanks Joe.
01-10-2017 10:46:35: Joseph Habib: Guess where I was last night? St. James
01-10-2017 11:42:26: M Rampersandsingh Anand: Wax abbey boy couva 685 -8283
06-10-2017 08:41:48: M Kenny Azizul: Good Morning Winston how u doing my brother I will be in Florida the end of the month if u there let’s hook up I just sold my condo and will be looking for another to buy so I will be there for about a week
06-10-2017 10:28:23: M Ahow Hector Tx: Me recomendaron esta dieta contra la depresion.... funciona..
06-10-2017 12:10:47: Mm Charles Neil: Azizul and Joe, u guys are too old for this shit
06-10-2017 12:23:37: M Zanelli Enrique: Yeah.... pop some of those candies and quit arguing
06-10-2017 13:37:47: M Kenny Azizul: Hey Neil how u I am still trying to get back to normal I was playing pool last nite+
06-10-2017 13:38:31: M Kenny Azizul: How u Enrique great to hear from u
06-10-2017 13:39:21: M Zanelli Enrique: Likewise Azizul..... I'm here with Salvador right now.... he says hello
06-10-2017 13:40:27: M Kenny Azizul: Tell my brother I say hi He is one of the few I keep in touch with Stay safe I saw the storm is coming ur way
06-10-2017 15:08:31: M Coscarart Salvador: Hello brother Azizul. How is life treating you in Jersey
06-10-2017 16:09:23: M Kenny Azizul: Great brother always busy but great and how u doing
06-10-2017 22:04:55: M Coscarart Salvador: Doing good and getting stronger.
07-10-2017 08:16:58: M Kenny Azizul: I saw a pic of u yesterday u look  like a kid She looks familiar
07-10-2017 15:04:34: Mm Charles Neil: Azizul, u were playing the fool u mean
07-10-2017 15:05:09: M Kenny Azizul: It took u a whole day to reply Pool and drinking once a month I have to
07-10-2017 15:05:47: Mm Charles Neil: We should not be busy at this age
07-10-2017 15:06:13: M Kenny Azizul: I enjoy it work play and invest
07-10-2017 15:06:45: Mm Charles Neil: I leave my cell in the car where it belongs My fun is travelling
07-10-2017 15:14:44: M Kenny Azizul: Yea I realize my fun and just doing nothing and high and investing We have opposite Can I call u now
08-10-2017 09:19:33: M Cantore Oscar: 3 dolitas únicamente
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
-----------------------------------------------------
Photos:
1955 video 1468775700, airplane that I took from Caracas to Piarco
58LK0002LKECA, Cachacachare cave before colapse.
58LK0001LKEGL, Glider Condor built by Ladislao Kertesz
13LK2239FBRFA, Richard Farah with his hobby






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been enabled. Enter your comment in the box below by name, Google identity, or anonymously. It will be posted after I have approved it to avoid spamming.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.