Saturday 11 November 2017

Circular No 836








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 11 of November 2017 No. 836
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Further news on Jon Golding’s passing away.
-------------------------------------------------
GEOFFREY GOLDING
6 Nov (5 days ago)
Hi Ladislao,
I don't know if you heard but my brother Jon passed away October 12 in Edinburgh, Scotland after a long and courageous battle with cancer.
Please pass on to the Mount alumni.
Regards,
Geoff 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Caracas, 15 of September 2002.
Dear Stuart
Thank you for the email, and am glad that you looked up the web page, Anthony Johnson is doing a wonderful job with it.
I hope that you are getting the circulars?
Please your comments on them.
Please send me your telephone number and the Form V graduation year so that I may place you in your year group.
If you have any photos please send them to me so that I may distribute them with a circular. Of course an article would be welcomed.
God Bless
Ladislao
(I have lost contact with Anthony Johnson, can anyone know if he is alive, editor)
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
18 of June 2002
Ladislao
Good to hear from some of the Mount crowd after all these years.
Had lost track of everybody except those in St. Lucia.
Got a copy of the email from Richard Johnson giving you my Yahoo address.
Then I got your email.
Spent some time last night going through the web site reliving old memories.
I may have some pictures to contribute but I haven't look at them in years and do not know what condition they are in.
If you put my email address next to my name on the site please use this Hotmail address stumon@hotmail.com rather than the Yahoo address.
Yahoo has had some problems and restrictions on its' email and I am slowly trying to get everyone to use the Hotmail address.
Good to hear from you
Keep in touch
Stu Monplaisir
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
From:  Stuart Monplaisir <stumon@yahoo.com>
Subject:  Wayne Brown on Trent Lott / George Bush
Date:  Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:11:09 -0500
Ladislao
Not everything that Wayne Brown writes needs to be published.
I really do not think that the political trashing of Lott and Bush belong in a newsletter about the Mount.
I enjoy some of his stories but this one NO
Stuart Monplaisir
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
From:  Stuart Monplaisir <stumon@yahoo.com>
Subject:  Camping Hell
Date:  Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:44:34 -0400
Ladislao
I have forgotten the badge for which we were trying to qualify and the name of the place where we were to camp. Fr. Ildefonse dropped us off west of Tunapuna at the base of some mountain. We were to climb to the top and pitch camp there for the night then the next day we were to find our way to the area around Tunapuna while collecting information for an accurate map of the route that we took.
The instructions were that we were to camp on the very top of the mountain not down on the side somewhere. When we got to the top we found that it was bare of any vegetation but grass and part of it was rocky. We debated whether to pitch the camp down from the top a bit where there was less rocky soil but we were afraid that Ildefonse would find out so we camped at the very top. There were three tents one modern and two were vintage World War II, or maybe even WW I, heavy canvass things which had snap fasteners at the top. One was used for the storage of the equipment and food. Some guys slept in the other old one and we were in the newer one.
That night it turned cold, the wind started to blow and the rain came down in buckets.  Suddenly there was someone trying to open our tent and in piled the rest of the group. The snap fasteners on their tent had become unfastened in the wind and the water had drenched them. Make room, don't touch the tent... too late, in came the water. Needless to say it was a miserable, damp, cold night, worrying all along whether we were going to get struck by lightning. By morning the storm was over. However, the storage tent had also opened up and any extra clothes were wet. We broke camp and proceeded to map our way down an old road carrying the extra weight of the wet stuff, grumbling all the way. We drew our maps got grilled by Fr. Idefonse and got our badges, glad that we didn't have to do it all over again.
Stu Monplaisir
stumon@yahoo.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Stuart Monplaisir
Date: 11/4/2004 2:00:16 PM
Neither do I, Ladislao, but I sent it out to everyone in my address book just because the writers of this one seemed to have been able to disable virus software and other protections.
I now use Mozillas Firefox browser rather than Internet Explorer. It has fewer security holes and is faster. It does not run Active X which is fine since a lot of the problems with intruders came from Active X programming.
If I need Active X I switch to IE then I close it and switch back to Firefox.
Stu
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LADISLAO KERTESZ wrote:
Thank you for the alert.
I am not using Outlook for my messages but it is good to know that there is a problem with those that have it.
Yes, I get reflections from some of the oldboys, I usually erase those that are 41K and others.
This gets me into trouble because there are times when I have erased valid emails!!!
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Stuart Monplaisir |
Date: 10/17/2004 9:57:19 AM
Hi Ladislao,
Sometime ago you asked the question about Angus and I sent you an answer maybe you did not get it.
Angus is my first name so Angus Monplaisir and Stuart Monplaisir are the same person.
My full name is Angus Stuart Monplaisir but I use Stuart and do NOT use the name Angus at all.
I noticed that you spelled my surname with the last two letters as "er" please note that the last two letters are "ir"
I do not remember clearly when I graduated Form V but I think it was in 1961.
All the best
Stu Monplaisir
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Also I have been told that you have been missing some issues that have gone out blank.
This is possible as I have told you I am experimenting with five servers, Hotmail, Yahoo, Icqmail, Cantv, and Netscape.
The Hotmail addresses go out by Hotmail.
Yahoo and Aol by Yahoo.
The Netscape is being used for Wow, Opus, Trinidad, Carib-link etc. those living in TT.
The Cantv server is for Venezuelan guys.
And Icq is for the rest.
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
It is possible that some of the missing messages may have been sent from Hotmail. For testing purposes I sometimes send from my Hotmail address to my Yahoo address. On quite a number of occasions the message sent from Hotmail never gets to my Yahoo inbox.
I have also found that pictures from Hotmail have a problem, in that the frame arrives but with no picture just a Red X in the upper left hand corner. This one has been around for quite some time and a number of people that I correspond with who have MSN have asked me about it so it seems to be a Microsoft problem.
All the best in 2005
Stu Monplaisir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "JonGolding"
Date: 29 Feb 07:50 (PST)
Subject:  Brendan Gurley
Dear Ladislao
It is with deep regret that I have to inform the Mount Alumni of the passing of our friend Brendan Gurley.
Brendan was killed in Tobago by a car last Saturday morning when cycling with some friends on the island.  He was an avid cyclist and runner in Trinidad and had good road sense but the accident was a freak one where he could not see an overtaking car behind another car that stopped for him.
Brendan leaves a young wife (his second marriage), a 9 year old daughter and a 17 year old son from his first marriage who had recently come to live with him from the UK. Sadly, Brendan's other son, the boy's older brother, was killed last year in a car accident in the US.  The funeral was on Thursday this week at his Church, St Finbar's in Diego Martin and was attended by over 500 people.  Fr Michael de Verteuil and Fr Tom Lawson conducted the Funeral Mass.
Brendan spent most of his life in Trinidad.  He was a qualified accountant, a respected stockbroker and was recently made President of the 100-year old Clydesdale Club in Port of Spain, the mecca of very successful Trinidad & Tobago businessmen and professionals.
Brendan's two brothers, Dennis and Christian were at Mount in the 50's and 60's and many of our Alumni will remember them.  Brendan and Dennis were in the 2nd MSB Scout Band with me and I have some photos I will be sending you soon.  Condolences can be sent to Dennis at: dgurley@jdsellier.com,
Dennis is one of the most successful attorneys in Trinidad and is the Senior partner of J D Sellier & Co, a prestigious law firm.
Let us remember Brendan in our prayers.  He was an exemplar of a quiet but solid and sincere old Mount boy who leaves a legacy of many friends and relatives who respected him and loved him.
May God Rest his soul in peace and keep him until we meet again in His presence.
Kind regards
Jon Golding (MSB 1955-1962)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 8:05 PM
Brendan was a great little guy, as I remember him. Unfortunately, we lost touch with each other when I left MSB, but he was a good trumpeter as a kid, and I would love to have known him as an adult.
May he rest in peace.
Nigel
Laz - you may want to announce this to the Old Boys. (You might remember Brendan - he was about 3-4 years behind us, so he probably graduated around 1963-64).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On Feb 23, 2004, at 2:47 PM, Michael Azar wrote:
Hi Nigel
Michael Azar here in Portland Oregon, sorry I have not gotten around to talking to you much last year, but I was going through some health problems.
I heard from Trinidad that Brendan Gurley was killed in Tobago, in a motorcycle accident.
I thought that those who knew him will like to know.
Will try and contact you soon by phone or by email.
God Bless,
Michael Azar (Big Joe)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-09-2017 16:05:25: Mt Berment Joseph: Since you are coming Aziz, I'm leaving.
12-09-2017 16:05:37: M Kenny Azizul: Where u I was out of circulation for a couple of days just in and out
12-09-2017 16:06:23: Mt Berment Joseph: Hello Winston, NY NY, trying to sneak pass Aziz at Homeland Security.
12-09-2017 16:06:45: M Kenny Azizul: U here where I will meet u tonight after 8 pm I will be free
12-09-2017 16:07:56: Mt Ramsahai Winston 99: There is a ranch is St Helena Jimmy will arrange send date
12-09-2017 16:08:18: M Kenny Azizul: Ok
12-09-2017 16:09:18: Mt Ramsahai Winston 99: Want to taste alligator halal
12-09-2017 16:10:28: Mt Berment Joseph: Thanks Aziz, we are just leaving for Trinidad. We are at the check in counter at terminal 4 gate A3. Pull some rank and tell them that we are both VIPS and that some lesser mortals must give up their seats? Is the food looking young if you continue to eat it you'll get old prematurely?
12-09-2017 16:13:49: Mt Ramsahai Winston 99: At 61 the curry works , you need less Chinese, Safe trip Joe Called Jimmy he is on a pilgrimage in Portugal Serious kid
12-09-2017 16:22:59: M Kenny Azizul: Shit Joe u should a called me or text me I would have come to NY and see u and do lunch with u Winston I do not eat much meat again I am almost a vegetarian Just fish So sorry But I do drink a lot If I was there I would have call a few and get u in front of the line Have a safe flight Joe
12-09-2017 16:35:21: Mt Berment Joseph: Thanks Aziz. We haven't been to NY for more than a few hours for several years and we were here for only 4 nights. We had a family get together and I was visiting with aunts who could be in the other world at a moment’s notice. The next trip that I make I will be sure to inform you well in advance and we will get together. We just had some dahl, shrimp, channa, baigan and fried okra in Queens. Fellas, be careful Azizul and I have the same dietary preferences.
12-09-2017 16:37:51: M Kenny Azizul: Yea sometimes I go to Queens myself my wife is from Surinam so a lot of wat I like she do not know how to cook So U eat veggies and drink a lot great
12-09-2017 16:41:11: Mt Berment Joseph: You also get the benefit of some good Surinamese food. You can't get everything. I try to drink water, tea and coconut water. Frequently I fail - - "Father please forgive me." mean only water, tea and coconut water.
12-09-2017 16:42:53: M Kenny Azizul: Well u can always try some rum in ur tea and scotch and coconut water is great: When u come month end we can try it all
12-09-2017 16:44:10: Mt Berment Joseph: Have a good evening Aziz, have to turn off the phone now. All the best.
12-09-2017 16:44:33: M Kenny Azizul: Have a safe flight brother
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
--------------------------------------------
Photos:
08UN1588REUNION2008, Don Mitchell, UNKNOWN and Enrique Zanelli
61LM0001LMO, Linsay Moffat
70LM0001CLASS1972, Class 1972, with UNKNOWNS
80MA0001MAZ, Michael Azar






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been enabled. Enter your comment in the box below by name, Google identity, or anonymously. It will be posted after I have approved it to avoid spamming.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.