Saturday 4 February 2017

Circular No 796








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 4 February 2017 No. 796
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the description of what Rudi does every day.  Interesting job.
----------------------------------------------------------
From Rudi Singh
My function is quite simple, to inspire others!
While most people focus on the problem I look for adaptable solutions that address the needs at the time whilst preparing a platform for further development in growth. 
USE WHAT YOU HAVE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT!
Part of that solution is looking at your team to see how cohesive the unit functions and then motivate them to achieve the desired targets.
Motivating your team does not simply mean to inspire them and then leave them hanging. 
It means to challenge them into being inspired continuously by themselves and giving the necessary guidance when needed.
GED
1982 – 1983
1975 – 1981
--------------------------------------------------------.
NEWS on Carl Deleuze
mailto:idmitch@anguillanet.com
12/24/16 at 1:32 PM
Hello, Charles-Henri,
I found Carl Deleuze in Canada.
I have asked him to join my Linked In network so I can confirm he is really the same Carl Deleuze.
You can see his profile here:
Hope Christmas will be a happy one for you and yours.
Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
From: Don Mitchell
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: First Abbot - Mayeul de Caigny
Hello, Charles-Henri,
We shall have to ask Ladislao to put an “All Points Bulletin” for him.
Keep well.
Don
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Charles-Henri Dunoyer de Noirmont
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:36 AM
Subject: RE: First Abbot - Mayeul de Caigny
Dear Old Boy.
I read your message about Joël Blandin, who was at Mount St Benedict with me too, along with another Frenchman: Deleuze, (I forgot his Christian name).
I have a picture of Blandin and myself, plus some of my cousins, taken while we were vacationing at Chantal and Guy de Pompignan's estate, located at Mayaro.
I had taken Blandin for some days there, since he had no family in Trinidad.
Guy de Pompignan was the brother of my grandmother: Elizabeth Agostini, who lived in Port of Spain, 145 Henry Street.
Could you give me more details about his death, i.e. approximate date and location?
Best regards
Charles Henri de Noirmont.
I will try my best to find something about him..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
De : Don Mitchell idmitch@anguillanet.com
Envoyé : mercredi 2 novembre 2016 02:08
Objet : First Abbot - Mayeul de Caigny
Hello, Ron,
That is amazing detective work. Congratulations on tracking down the burial place of Abbot Mayeul de Caigny.
I don’t personally have much interest in the old “Obeah Men” of the Abbey itself. Much as I respected some of them who made a major contribution to my early education, I came to realise later that they were all “damaged goods”, some of them probably as a result of their experiences in surviving the Nazi slave-labour camps of the Second World War, about which they told us stories. 
I am much more interested in the resting places of my deceased contemporaries at the Abbey School. For example, my second best friend (my best friend was Michael Joseph Basil de Verteuil “MJ” who had plans to study to be an architect, but who wasted himself instead on the priesthood) was “Toby”. MJ and I never communicated after we left Mount. 
Toby was from Guadeloupe, where his father had a banana plantation. Toby’s name was Joel Guy Blandin. He and I lost contact for a while. Then, we made contact and communicated on and off a few years later.
I learned that he went to a University in French Canada., Mc Gill, I think it was. After he graduated, he did not go back to the West Indies. I think he had bad memories of his childhood home. His mother was a French woman, who hated life in the West Indies and took her infant daughter, Marie France, abandoned her husband and son, and returned to live in Paris. He never saw his mother or sister again. After he graduated from college, he also went to live in France. He got a job as the Secretary of the Chamber of Commerce in a large city. I think it was either Lyons or Nice. He married a French woman. His father–in-law was the communist Mayor of the city. Unfortunately, Toby’s marriage fell apart. He and his wife divorced. His father-in-law was not happy.
There is probably no connection, but Toby was riding his motor-cycle along the highway one day when he was machine gunned to death in what we call today a drive-by shooting. I have no idea if his assassins or his father-in-law were ever prosecuted. Most probably, they escaped scott-free. After all, this was only a mere West Indian who was killed. Nobody of any significance.
In 1981, while I was sitting in my little law office in Anguilla, an elderly Frenchman came to see me for legal advice on a job in Anguilla. He stared at the photo of my graduating High School class which hung on the wall behind my head. After a moment, he said, “How do you have a photo of my son, Joel, on the wall above your head?” I explained that it was a photo of my graduating class at Mount St Benedict in Trinidad. He broke into tears, and told me the story of the recent death by machine gun of his son, Joel. That is how I come to know about it.
I have been wondering if some French Old Boy with influence, like Charles-Henri, might have the ability to track down the police report on the assassination of Toby. Now, that burial place would interest me! I can see myself picking my old body up from North Hill in Anguilla and going to Lyons just to lay a wreath at his grave.
Keep well.
Don
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: horsey
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:07 PM
Subject: First Abbot
He is buried about an hour from here.
Was going to scout around the cemetery but found this pic on the net.
Ron
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
mailto:csabajakobszen@yahoo.es
12/23/16 at 4:09 PM
Merry Christmas
Dear Ladislao,
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2017 with good health and lots of happiness!!
How are you? What have you undertaken this year?
We are very sorry that we couldn’t together with you when you were here in Valencia, but the only reason was that Mary Carmen´s brother with his wife and his daughter AND a sister of Mary Carmen who lives in Galicia were visiting us as we had invited them to tee the “ Fallas”.
They stayed longer than we had expected and I called you when they left, but you were already gone.
The next time you come, we´ll be more than glad to see you, just like during all the former occasions.
We did undertake two trips this summer, one to Budapest were we spent 3 lovely weeks with my sons and their families. We also visited some “repatriated” Caracas Hungarians like:  Fedor Aliz, Szalay Ildiko, Váradi Teréz, and in September we went to Germany and visited Fedák Orbán not far from Munich and our grandsons in the Frankfurt area.
During this year Mary Carmen had some serious problems with her eyes and had to undergo various operations, so we have been very busy.
We are very worried about all that is taking place in Venezuela and just can´t see a happy end to the whole thing.
Please keep us informed about your plans.
Un abrazo
Mary Carmen and Csaba
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
LAST TWO EMAILS FROM FR. FRANCIS
From: Berchmanianum <Berchmanianum@wxs.nl>
Date: 9 Sep 01:20 (PDT)
Dear Ladislao,
Thanks for your email. A splendid idea to keep contact with former co-students by means of weekly exchanges.
I do remember your name and that you belonged to the "gang from Venezuela". I would be happy to get your publication occasionally, so as to refresh me memory about those happy days with you and the other guys, on that mountain top in Trinidad, so many years ago!
My address, as you have it, is correct, email included. Let me know your own ordinary address as well, for I am not able to reach you regularly unless by ordinary letter. Kind regards to all,
Sincerely,
Fr Francis Friesen
------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 14 Sep 10:57 (PDT)
Subject: Message from Father Friesen/Netherlands
Dear Ladislao,
Thanks for sending me your address.
To answer your question: Yes, I can receive email, like the one you used to contact me, which is the email address for this house; Berchmanianum.
No problem, as for receiving goes, and I look forward to receive your newsletters on this way.
I spoke with Father Paul on the phone. He was your teacher mathematics and physics, left the abbey in 1963, and is now 87 years old.
He, too, remembers you, although vaguely, and sends you his kind regards.
He does not have an email and is not in good health at all.
Both of us have had no access to the computer world, and for me, at the age of 82, and being almost blind, it will remain so.
This message reaches you through the kindness of one of my cousins in Holland, for the use the house email is not open to us, except for receiving messages.
I ask you please to keep using the Berchmanianum@wxs.nl email address.
All the best and God bless,
Father Francis.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
15LK5528FBROC, Robert O´Connel
10LK7858FBMDV, Marc de Verteuil
16LK2162BGOGTA, Brian Goddard and Gustavo Tar
04UN0003FFREST, Fr. Francis Friesen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been enabled. Enter your comment in the box below by name, Google identity, or anonymously. It will be posted after I have approved it to avoid spamming.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.