Saturday 14 October 2017

Circular No 832








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 of October 2017 No. 832
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Emails follow.
--------------------------------------------------
Tim Mew MHC <tim-mew@bigpond.com>
Oct 10 at 9:32 PM
Hola Laszlo,
Once again my sincere thanks to you over the years and still going for all your hard work to keep us old MSB students in touch as best you can.
It was sad to hear of Fr Cuthbert’s passing and it should remind us that we are all just a few steps behind this great man.
Stay as best you can in your beloved Venezuela and hope all your family and all our friends from MSB in Venezuela are well.
Tim Mew & family in Melbourne, Australia.
MSB 1958.
PS: Photo enclosed of my wife Gail since 1963 and me in Spain, 2016 June.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
I have found a few misplaced emails that I should have sent long time ago. Tony, please forgive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date: Tue Mar 4 19:20:14 2003
Ladislao,
Talking about father Eugene, one day I fell down in the pole vault pit and broke my wrist, I always smile when I see the new air filled landing pads the current athletes use for pole vaulting, our pole vault pit was sawdust and as hard as concrete, both bones just above the wrist were broken  [confirmed later by X-ray and a cast which I had to endure for 6 weeks] so Scruts sent me up to the dorm, it was Saturday so no nurse, when I got to the dorm, I was met with the astonishing sight of Eugene doing pull ups on the first cubicle next to his room in his shorts.
That night after I told the boys about it, Edward Lloyd, Steve Mailingsmith and cow spray [anyone remember cow spray's real name?] mobilised the boys who waited until Eugene was about to make his last round, and they started doing pull ups on their cubicles, forcing a clearly embarrassed Eugene to flee and seek refuge in his room.
As far as the colour of the cubicle was concerned, I was never invited to choose the colour of MY cubicle, and if the place was still functional I would sue.
Does anyone else remember picking the colour of their cubicle? as I recall, all were painted this really sick cream colour. the cubicle next to mine was occupied by the french boy Piton, does anyone remember him?
My job was to help him with his English since he did not speak one word of the language, Piton had one wrangler Jeans which he wore everyday for the entire term, he did not have to hang up those jeans, it stood up by itself when he took it off.
My cubicle was close to the toilet, it was on the side of the dorm which faced the mountain, from my cubicle, on most nights the toilet looked like it was on fire, and there was that much smoke coming out of it. The amount of cigarettes we threw in the toilets at the mount killed all the bacteria in the septic tanks and caused an environmental hazard.
The poetic justice of it all was that it was we who caused that incredible stench in the first place, that were forced to breathe it in day and night.
Tony Vieira
P.S. Ladislao, I bought a P4 computer and in the process of transferring all of the data to the new computer from the old hard drive the idiot technician erased all of my e-mails, so please send me the link to your site again, I had to wait for you to email me with the new circular before I could tell you about it since I have lost all emails and addresses.
I have decided to run in the 2006 Presidential elections, I announced it last week check www.tonyvguy.com, commentary UF, I have taken over the United Force Political party and even if I don't get the presidency [I don't think I can anyway] I will, with the other small parties control the parliament and hold the balance of power in the country.
T.V.
------------------------------------------------------
From:Tony Vieira <tandjv@networksgy.com>
Date:Sun, 29 Dec 2002 16:10:22 -0500
Cheers Ladislao,
I have a 26 ft cabin cruiser; it is not so much a luxury as a necessity, since as the owner of the country's only television network I have to visit some very remote areas. I go on the Essequibo River every other week, usually the second and fourth Saturday’s of each month.
Yesterday Saturday 28th December 2002 I visited Father Hildebrand, [the pictures will follow] they have built the new monastery about 2 miles from the town of Bartica, it is where the Essequibo and Mazaruni river meet to form the Mighty Essequibo, they also say Mass and give council to the citizens of that town, to do it they have to drive through the 2 miles of jungle that separates the monastery from the town, they have no electricity, no telephones, no treated water there.
The monastery at this time consists of father Hildebrand and three other priests. Including Father Ferrier, actually he is not the brother that looked after the bees at the mount.
It was a good day to visit, since the current abbot of Mount St.  Benedict was there, he gave me a note pad which declares that Mt. St.  Benedict is celebrating their 90th anniversary. I have scanned a page and attached it hereto.
I am glad that you prompted me to visit them, they are in bad shape. 
The place is lovely with a wonderful view of the river and they have planted some beautiful ornamental trees, crotons, hibiscus, etc, but the problems of no electricity and no telephones are almost too huge a burden for them,
They have tried to do a solar power installation but it is not very successful, the batteries are all dead they also have a small generator, I will help them all I can, I will give you more details later.    
Fr. Hildebrand has an email address it is benedictines@solutions2000.net, It is written on the note, he uses a  telephone whenever he visits Bartica with his laptop to say Mass in the  town. I am copying this note to him to reassure him that I have not forgotten the wonderful hospitality they extended to us that day, [they make an excellent sorrel liqueur] and I will help as much as I possibly can.
After the holidays 2nd Saturday in January perhaps, I intend to visit them again with Jewel and the children to discuss the promised help in a more tangible way.
The operation has been going on for 14 years. For Father Hildebrand’ benefit, I am attaching a research I did, for a house that Christopher Ram [he is the one who writes the economic articles in the Stabroek news on Sundays, father] and he and I want to build a small weekend cottage on the Essequibo.
It will give you an idea of what you have to do and what the cost will be.
Tony Vieira
----------------------------------------------------------------
Gangoo Mohammed
Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:09:58 PM
Man, you guys must have been fit!
But come to think of it, I have made that walk hundreds of times myself, in company with everyone else, as we had to go down to "Grounds" on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, and back up the hill again, in time to bathe, do homework and get to bed.
Let's see: 8 months of the year multiplied by 4 weeks per month = 32 weeks per year multiplied by 3 times per week = 96 times per year multiplied by 5 years = roughly 500 times I did that walk.
No wonder we were all so fit.
No obesity in those days.
Nigel               
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 What’s App”
27-08-2017 19:06:51: M Zavarce Arturo: El HuracΓ‘n pasΓ³ y quedo estacionaria la lluvia desde el viernes, muchas alarmas por tornados
28-08-2017 16:06:29: Mt Farias Gabriel: I prayed with our dear Cutty this afternoon and a half hour later he passed peacefully into the Lord's arms May he Rest In Peace, he was like a father to so many of us. Please let know when the funeral is.
28-08-2017 16:10:49: M Ahow Hector Tx: πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜” Thanks πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ may the Lord takes him to heaven
28-08-2017 16:11:09: M Ibarra Frank: Rest In Peace Cutty πŸ™πŸ»
28-08-2017 16:12:12: M Zavarce Arturo: RIP CUTTYπŸ™
28-08-2017 16:18:43: M Cantore Oscar: May God embrace you: RIP
28-08-2017 16:36:25: Mt Ramsahai toddy: Rip dear cutty
28-08-2017 16:57:15: M Rampersandsingh Anand: πŸŒΉπŸ™RIP
28-08-2017 17:51:21: Mt Ramsahai Winston 99: RIP Fr Cuthberth he will always be remembered for supporting me spiritually: We thank you  Gabe,  Joe,   Toddy, Mike, Jimmy and others  for the support you gave
28-08-2017 17:54:45: M Alfredo Montiel Bezara: Fr Cuthberth rest in peace and always will be in our Prayers as well as Fr. Odo and Fr. Bernard !!! πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡ΉπŸ‡»πŸ‡ͺπŸ™
28-08-2017 18:03:44: M Coscarart Salvador: Amen .
28-08-2017 18:05:55: M Coscarart Pedro: RIP Fr Cuthbert , you will always be remember in our prayers
28-08-2017 18:06:19: M Ahow Hector Tx: AMΓ‰N πŸ™
28-08-2017 18:47:01: M Kenny Azizul: Thank You Cutty for everything you will always be remembered
28-08-2017 19:34:55: Joseph Habib: Gentlemen, is with a heavy heart that I have to share this news. Fr. Cuthbert died this evening, 28th of August. The Abbot is waiting on Cutty's family from Holland, to make arrangements. I will keep you guys informed as I get the news. God bless.
28-08-2017 19:35:43: M Ahow Hector Tx: Joe thanks
28-08-2017 19:36:30: M Zanelli Enrique: RIP Cutty....
28-08-2017 19:52:47: M Moffie Edgar: Fr Cuthbert may you rest in peace...you will always be remembered...
28-08-2017 20:18:06: M Cantore Oscar: Miss him when I travel to TT every trip made Saw him: Last time I saw him was when Victor Zanelli went with The Esmeralda
28-08-2017 21:27:53: M Alexander Garth: May his soul rest in peace...
29-08-2017 09:25:15: Joseph Habib: Not sure as yet, but the possibility that funeral will that place this coming Saturday at 9am at the Mount. Confirmation will be tomorrow. His family will be arriving this week. So, please keep Saturday open. Thanks. It has been confirmed. Funeral this Saturday at 10 am, not 9. I will be videotaping as much as possible, for those who would be able to make it. God speed
29-08-2017 20:21:40: M Alfredo Montiel Bezara: Thanks !
29-08-2017 22:24:05: M Coscarart Salvador: Thank you , Joe appreciated.
30-08-2017 14:49:48: M Luongo Humberto: Paz a los restos de father Cuthbert. Me uno en pΓ©same solidaridad y afecto a todos los Mount boys. Un abrazo: Paz a los restos de father Cuthbert. Me uno en pΓ©same solidaridad y afecto a todos los Mount boys. Un abrazo
02-09-2017 11:09:27: Mt Farias Gabriel: To remember Cutty
02-09-2017 11:20:05: M Ahow Hector Tx: Thanks πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
02-09-2017 11:31:56: Mt Farias Gabriel: His final resting place
02-09-2017 11:48:25: M Zavarce Arturo: R.I.PπŸ™πŸ™
02-09-2017 15:34:06: M Kenny Azizul: Great photos Winston but besides u and Fr Harold please introduce the rest The one in the suit looks like specs Ah seeing Joe and Zef
02-09-2017 20:04:38: M Cantore Oscar: La moto que usaba Attyla en sus escapadas a Tunapuna πŸ˜†
02-09-2017 22:33:30: M Gyuris Attila: Asi es. Sino preguntale a Frank Malave que estaba de parrillero. El Cutty casi nos cacha una vez.
03-09-2017 12:08:28: Joseph Habib:  Some memories of the send off for Fr. Cuthbert. It was a good and blessed day for many who attended. It was great seeing some of the guys again. Fr. Cuthbert was well represented.
05-09-2017 12:32:31: Mt Berment Joseph: Administrators, Dr. George "Pud" Laquis, has asked to be added to this group. George "Pud" Laquis 8686786323
05-09-2017 12:50:17: M Zanelli Enrique: Joe... unable to add Pud....is the nr correct? do you know if he has WhatsApp ? I
05-09-2017 12:52:39: Mt Berment Joseph: Maybe, he hasn't installed the app: he may not be computer savvy. I'll talk to him and get back to you, thanks.
------------------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
-------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
06WK0676BVIFAP, Bro Vincent fr. Abbot Pereira
03SCO0006SCOESA, Edmund Senior and Salvador Coscarart
17TM0002TMEWFE, Timothy Mew and Gail
08UN1515REUNION2008, Christopher Knowles and Gordon Mitchell






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been enabled. Enter your comment in the box below by name, Google identity, or anonymously. It will be posted after I have approved it to avoid spamming.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.