Saturday 14 January 2017

Circular No 793








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 January 2017 No. 793
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Please watch:
And a long CV from my classmate 1960:
-------------------------------------------------------
Daniel de Verteuil
Career:
After graduating from MSB, in September of 1961 I began a Bachelor of Science program at Loyola College in Montreal, Canada.  In 1966 I went to Queen`s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and graduated in 1968 with a Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering. 
On graduating, I joined Ontario Hydro’s Construction Division as an engineering trainee.  In 1970 I went to the Bruce Peninsula of Ontario as a field engineer on the construction team to build Bruce A CANDU Nuclear Generating Station.  In 1977 I transferred to the refurbishment of the Thunder Bay Coal Generating Station as Project Control Engineer. 
In 1979 I left Ontario Hydro and joined Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL) and went to the Embalse CANDU Generating Station under construction near Cordoba, Argentina as Deputy Project Director.  I returned to AECL’s Engineering Offices in Mississauga, Ontario in 1981 to expedite the last of the engineering drawings and materials for the Embalse project.  After the start-up of the Embalse CANDU station in 1983, I was Project Manager of miscellaneous projects out of the Mississauga office. 
In 1987 I transferred to AECL’s Corporate Office in Ottawa, Ontario as AECL`s Project Director on Canada’s team of navy and technical people who were investigating the purchase of nuclear powered submarines.  Canada abandoned the program in 1989 following the fall of the Berlin wall, and in 1990 I transferred to AECL’s Research Division.  I worked as General Manager and Vice President of Engineering at both of AECL’s nuclear research sites in Chalk River, Ontario and Pinawa, Manitoba. 
I took early retirement from AECL in 1997 and then associated with a friend’s management consulting and training company operating mainly in the Ottawa Valley and surrounding area.  In 2005, I retired completely.
Family:
I met my wife, Ginny, while at Loyola in Montreal and we married in 1967. (Later this year we will be celebrating 50 years of married life!).  We have three sons:  Michel (1969), Paul (1972) and Blair (1978).  We have lived in Kingston, Ontario; Walkerton, Ontario; Thunder Bay, Ontario; Villa General Belgrano, Argentina; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Mississauga, Ontario; Kanata, Ontario; Pinawa, Manitoba; Petawawa, Ontario; Oakville, Ontario.  Our three sons graduated from Queen’s University with engineering degrees.  They are married to wonderful women whom we love dearly and embrace as the daughters we never had.  Michel is married to Lucilene and they have Mateus (18) and Luca (16) and live in Oakville having recently returned from living in China for three years.  Paul is married to Beth and they have Jackson (15) and Logan (14) and live in Metcalfe, Ontario.  Blair is married to Tanya and they have Caitlin (13), Devon (10) and Nathan (7) and they live in Cambridge, Ontario.  All are healthy and doing well, gracias a Dios.
Following my second retirement, Ginny and I spent a few years living and travelling  in a fifth wheel recreational vehicle (RV) spending the summer months in Ontario and wintering in the southern US.  You must understand that Ontario, Canada is wonderful and beautiful, but unfit for human habitation from November to May.  In 2012 we bought a home in Chapala, Mexico (the micro-climate here is purportedly the second best in the world; our home has no heating nor air-conditioning).  We now spend the summer months in Ontario and the winters in Chapala.
Ginny and I are in good health, blessed with respectable, successful sons and daughters (via marriage) and seven wonderful grandchildren we are very proud of.
In short, we are happy and blessed and profoundly grateful for our good fortune.
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Well there were many knights whose heads were lost in the Sky, Starting with Sir Ladislao Kertesz, building airplanes, Sir Gustavo La Grave teaching flying, Sir David Allan Harris flying & Sir Attila Gyuris fighting & flying or Sir Shaun Gianetti & many other brothers, just lost in the Sky.
Muchas gracias mi hermano y mi amigo, Sir Garnet Diaz.
Cheers Sweet 2017. The Club.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hi Winston Kerry, it is nice to see you and your Family are in the best of health.
The weather there seems great.
We have been having lots of snow and below freezing temperature for Oregon.
All the best for the New Year, Health and Happiness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Many was the happy Saturday afternoon I spent in the bush, from just above this vantage point firing arrows from my home-made bow towards the fielders and batters on this cricket field.
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Sir Wayne you musta scored after I left, that is good to read I thought I knew you ha! ha!
cheers Glen.
---------------------------------------------------------.
Glen , yuh brain gone or wha ?
I represent the Abbey in every age group in football , cricket , basketball ..also play volley ball , tennis , swimming (aqua lads) ..
You on de other hand wasn't ah sports man ...
Yuh know how much time you get vex with me because I going football practice when the band wanted to practice...Lol
------------------------------------------------------------.
Yes I remembered that, sorry buddy, you were such a good drummer maybe I blocked it out seriously, you know me and meh music ha! ha!
Mount boys were so multi-talented.
Cheers My Brother thank you for the update and getting the story right.
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Who knows if Cosmic force stuck together what we could have accomplish ...never know
---------------------------------------------------------------.
Are the spectator stands still there on the opposite side?
I wish the picture was a panoramic one.
There was no chain- link fence during my time.
That corner is where I got my gold medal for St Anthony for discus. ... LOL, I had never thrown a discus before, just had a short demonstration from somebody about a 5 minutes before, then I went for it. !
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Used to be the tennis courts.
Played so many times there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Very depressing to look at those pics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
I remember these courts so well.
When I went to Mount in 1955 to join Prep B, I was 9 years old.
My mom was a champion amateur tennis player at Woodford Lodge.
In order to get to see me occasionally, she volunteered to be a tennis coach on these courts...
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Remember when the Americans left Trinidad, same thing happened when the Knights left the Mount.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
With the sponsorship of WITCO,(?) this Pool and Aqua Lads and Lasses, this was once a beautiful Pool and gathering place for the life and discipline of dozens of young people by Bro. Rupert...
To allow it to further deteriorate will cost even more as time slips by...
Who will renovate it?....who will maintain it?...
(missing leadership, no negotiation savy or those in charge do not care, EDITOR)
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Where I learned to swim
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
I used to be able to swim one and a half lengths underwater in one breath when I was a pre-teen.
This is where I learned to hyperventilate, and to hold my breath (at that time) for five and a half minutes.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
All Mount Boys champions.
We really lived a Sporting life
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Was Michael's younger brother Richard De Verteuil? .... I think so.
---------------------------------------------------------------.
and big Watson would be Edward. ... I believe. .... came to me in my sleep.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
Great photo hombre, some of the cool dudes in dark sunglasses, Elvis hairdo was big then also, ha! ha!
Anyhow, the hippies from the late sixties early 70's will follow, now in their late 50's, early 60's.
That was the bestest time, it was all groovy, peace & love on the mount amigo, ha! ha!
If anyone wants to contest this, ah ready for battle ha! ha!-
From circle to circle we circle.
cheers mis amigos adios Glen.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
Ah yes, Mr Julian.... I immediately recognized him, and I was trying to remember his name.
He was also one of my teachers in Forms I, II and III, I think.
One time I remember he was all proud of having bought a new blue Vauxhall car when he brought it up to the Mount to show it to everybody.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
The best teacher at Mount in my day was Mr. Ernie Tyrell.
I can even copy his initials to this day
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
I agree with you.
He loved his students.
All in all he was a wonderful man who had the kids' respect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Your brother went to Mount also?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
No,
I think that's the reason, he was mad he did not go. LOL..
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
All my scout medals uniform also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Making me depress, have to go take a drink..
will chat tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
People always ask how I am always talking about the Mount and why are some of us so close,
I tell them they will never know unless they went to a boarding school like ours, not all boarding school are the same, and when they ask if were ever sexually abused, I feel like taking a fucking bat and beat them to a pulp.
If it was like that, you think we would be so attached to everyone that was involved with taking care of us?
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
Who could forget that mango tree at the bottom of the hill.
When the senior boys went in the tree for a smoke after late studies, that tree used to light up like a Christmas tree...
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
He fraid bullets.
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
15LK0001HBA, The science book that was used by Henry Bailey
14LK7406FBEFA, Elisa Farcheg
56CJ0002FOOTBALL,  Lots of UNKNOWS
14LK2369FBDAL, Damian Ali






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been enabled. Enter your comment in the box below by name, Google identity, or anonymously. It will be posted after I have approved it to avoid spamming.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.